Mix Tape 17 Player


MusicPlaylistRingtones

Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Ingrid Michaelson - The Chain (Live)



Ingrid Michaelson has released a new record this past October entitled, Be OK, following up her last successful record, Girls and Boys.

This is my favorite song on the record, and even though I featured Michaelson with 'Die Alone' on the first mix, I needed this song to appear on the next mix. This song was made a 'round' with multiple voices echoing the exact same lyrics at different intervals. Kind of hard to explain, but you will understand as soon as you listen to the track.

When I first listened to the track, I thought Michaelson used a recording device to record herself and then, did the round on her own, over and over. But then I thought of how hard that would be. But if you listen more closely, you can hear the distinct and separate voices that meld together so well. Thank you Priscilla Ahn and Allie Moss for the contribution.

The lyrics are quite poetic.

'So glide away on soapy heels...'
Describing what seems to be a lost love...just barely. Like both parties didn't want to leave each other, but slowly and eventually it just happened.

'Promise not to promise anymore'
Like the promise to stay with her was broken, so if her significant other made any more promises, it was to never promise anymore because of the loss felt.

'But if you come around again, I will take, I will take, the chain from off the door'
If her significant other came back, she would open the door of her life and heart. Almost as if her love did not come back her heart and life would be forever locked.

Sappy? Sure, but to say so little and have so much meaning = good lyrics. You can't just hear, I had to listen to the track more than once to find meaning for myself, and you might analyze the track quite differently.

If you want to listen to more track from the Be OK record, check out the other blog I write for: bbqchickenrobot.com. That blog covers all genres and has multiple writers, so it is constantly being updated.

I have added the track to the mix tape player above, but if you want to listen to the quality recorded version, you can listen to it here.

I also added a video of the track to the left.

No comments: